Is it normal to feel so emotional for no reason?
Because that's what I'm going through now - I feel..sad.
I don't know why.
Maybe it's because of the long conversation discussed today.
Hung out at some kopitiam at Mustafa Centre at around an hour to midnight
with my eldest sis and my aunt.
Before that, I guess we sorta updated each other about our lives, and both being film students, the topic drifted to film and future.
Poly and JC system, media and its possible outcomes.
Graduation and what comes next.
It was nice to know that sis didn't really know what she was going to do after uni,
though it's different from my style of winging it.
Once my aunt went in the opposite direction to go home,
me and my sis continued walking home.
Somehow we touched on the topic of the photograph in my previous post.
She told me to go search for a picture of a vulture spying a child.
And then it drifted onto the part where I asked (I think I did) about the quote:
"An eye for an eye." (which she never heard of) I explained it in a context and then continued with the sentence that some people believe in now -
"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind."
I asked her how was it possible that, in the context of a murder,
people would be able to just, FORGIVE the killer?
Life in jail certainly wouldn't be enough to 'make up' for the loss of perhaps, a mother's son.
How could some people so easily decide that they would forgive let's say,
the driver who knocked down their son by accident?
And really, there are articles like these.
'Course she said like life in prison may not be good for some prisoners - like if the guards don't like you, they may beat you up for instance.
That's one thing definitely and I understand that.
But I couldn't help but wonder.
Put yourself in this situation:
Something happens to the parent you're closest to (touch wood)
to the point that their lives may be compromised.
Maybe a gruesome murder.
Would you forgive the person responsible?
Would you move on?
Would you take revenge?
Or would you stay in sorrow?
I couldn't see myself even forgiving in this context.
So how is it possible that some can 'make do' with the fact that their son just got hacked by a psychopath (for example)?
My sis said that it's easier to forgive than to forget.
And that it's better to move on rather than stay in the same haunting memories forever.
But one thing she said bored into my mind, and that was the fact that she said
"Not everything can be forgiven."
And then I realised, that's true.
Not all things can be forgiven, but people still move on even though they've
yet to forgive.
Because that's the only thing they can do.
It's kinda sad that we're only limited to this course of action simply because
we cannot do anything about it.
Our loved ones are gone and nothing would ever bring them back.
And because they're not returning, sometimes we just can't forgive that.
Hence the truth that not everything can be forgiven.
Sad, Sad Night.
The Vulture Stalking A Child
Taken by Kevin Carter back in 1993 in Sudan.
South African photojournalist.
This was during the famine.
It was said that the photographer spent 20 minutes composing this shot while
the child was trying to crawl towards a food camp which was really far for
someone who was starving.
The vulture is seen watching the child very closely.
You know why.
Later on, the photographer disappeared from the scene.
When his guilt finally overwhelmed him, he returned only to find out
the child has passed away.
He received awards for this shot, yet with good things comes the
balance of bad things - great criticism for not helping the child to the food camp.
Which he could do in 2 minutes.
What he did:
Three months later, he committed suicide.
An alternative account was that he chased the bird away but still committed suicide thereafter
because he was haunted by the killings, gruesome murders, famine, sad situations that he saw.
Whichever is true, the picture is beautiful.
Yet, just so sad.
"In need of reassurance - comfort."
Saturday, May 11, 2013

Post a Comment